Sunday was Mother’s Day here in the UK. It was hard to comprehend that this would be my last Mother’s Day without my little Minions on the outside. There was this overwhelming sense of fullness both in my heart and in my belly.
We plan on celebrating American Mother’s Day this year as both my Minions and my mother will be here to celebrate it. I haven’t been with my Mother for Mother’s Day in eight years so it will be a really special day.Our day was filled with baby laundry; Ticket to Ride: Europe; relaxation; and a lovely dinner. David cooked me a special dinner from a cookbook I gave him for Christmas. I made the dessert which is what we are talking about today.Dinner was amazing! David made pork loin roast with a dried fruit and ale sauce; fried potatoes and chives; and homemade bread. I was glad I wasn’t supervising him because the amount of butter that he used was worrying, which made it that much more delicious. My dessert was the perfect accompaniment to David’s meal. Fruity and delicious!
Pear and Pecan Crumble
6 small pears, peeled, cored, and cubed
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
2. Mix together pears, sugar, cornstarch, and pecans. Layer in a cake pan.
3. Stir together oats, brown sugar, flour, ginger, and salt. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the crumble mixture until well mixed.
4. Spread crumble topping on top of the pears.
5. Bake 30 minutes.
6. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.