We have 10 days till Christmas is here! David and I are pretty excited to spend a very, very quiet Christmas alone. This will be both our last Christmas here in the UK and our last Christmas before the arrival of “Tea and Scone.”
I know a lot of you are probably starting to scramble to complete your Christmas shopping. I am a homemade gift giver. I don’t do well with giving people commercial gifts. I either find something that really reminds me of them or I think of something that I can knit, crochet, stitch, or cook for them. This also helps with our limited budget.
I thought this week I would share with you a great homemade Christmas gift. Bavarian Nuts.
If you have ever been to the mall or a traditional candy store you may have smelled the delicious nuts cooking away. These are the DiY version and you only pay 1/4 of the price!
1lb/500g unsalted nuts (I used 1/2 pecans and 1/2 almonds. It is all up to you.)
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 250F/120C. (Low and slow.)
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg white and vanilla until frothy.
3. Add nuts to the egg white and coat evenly.
4. In a small bowl stir together sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
5. Stir the cinnamon sugar on to the nuts until the sugar has adhered to the nuts.
6. Pour nuts onto a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour and stir every 15 minutes.
7. Let cool before packing.
Another alternative is to use pumpkin spice or chai spice instead of cinnamon. These can be stored in a canister or tin for a gift or you can place them in a bowl for munching during your Christmas party!
Hope you have a great week and are successful in your last-minute shopping!