Last week, I mentioned that we made some Elderflower cordial and we were also diving into the champagne world. Well, I had enough floral heads to make one more treat for our pantry.
Elderflower Vanilla Jelly.
This was my first attempt at jelly. I have made jam before but never jelly. The results were perfect. I could not find pectin but I substituted it with vege-gel. It worked out well.
Elderflower Vanilla Jelly (4 250ml/8oz jars)
5 elderflower heads, shake off bugs
2 cups boiling water
1 vanilla bean, split in half long ways
2 cups jamming sugar (sugar with pectin)
1/8 tsp vege-gel (may need more)
1. Combine elderflower heads and boiling water. Cover. Let steep overnight.
2. Place a small plate in the freezer for gel checking. Strain the brew into a saucepan.
3. Scrape seeds from the vanilla bean and add both seeds and bean to liquid. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Remove bean. Add sugar and vege-gel.
5. Remove the plate from the freezer and add a few drops of the brew to it. If the liquid wrinkles when you touch it then it is done. If it is still liquid add more vege-gel. And keep checking for the gel stage.
6. Pour into sterilized jars and process them appropriately.
Yum. Yum. Yum.