This past weekend, David and I were invited to a professor’s home for an end of the year lunch. Like a good husband (I trained him well), he asked what we could bring. The answer: “American” Dessert.
The mental process started. Summer, heat, 40 minute bus ride, transition to another 40 minute bus ride, rain, lots of rain, hmmmmmm. I decided to stay in the brownie/blondie/bar family.
So, we brought with us my Brownies with Praline Icing and these amazing Brown Butter Blondies with Maple Icing and Bacon Sprinkles. I think I just thought, What could I create that was über-American? Maple and Bacon Dessert. We evened it out with our hostess gift. David and I made some Elderflower Cordial (very British) and we brought a bottle as a gift. I will blog about it tomorrow. For now, it is all about these ridiculous blondies!
Brown Butter Blondies with Maple Icing and Bacon Sprinkles
1/2 cup butter, melted and browned (The Kitchn has a great how to.)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup (Real Stuff)
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Blend together brown butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup.
2. Add eggs and vanilla until mixed well.
3. Mix in salt, baking soda, and flour until smooth.
4. Gently stir in walnuts. Bake in 9×9 greased pan for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let cool and spread on icing and sprinkles.
Maple Icing and Bacon Sprinkles
2 Tbsp butter, soft
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp mapleine (maple-extract)
1 cup powdered sugar
6 Slices of Bacon (Streaky-UK)
1. Mix together butter and flavorings until smooth. Add powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
2. Cook bacon over medium-low heat. You want extra crispy bacon but not burnt. Low and slow. Turning every once in a while.
3. Drain and cool bacon. Chop into small pieces.
These were AMAZING!!!!!!! David and I were fighting over the last one last night they were so good. All of the Brits were astounded and loved them.
I am not exaggerating! You must try them!!!!! NOW!