Sorry for my long absence. Rain has dampened my motivation. On the days it didn’t rain I was trying to get as much gardening in as I could. I hope to post about our new garden in the next month. On the rainy days, however, my little fingers were working hard on a knitting project.
My sister had a little girl last week and I wanted to create something for the little one. It is like a banner. I plan on making my own because I loved it so much.
This week, was also our ‘husband’ housemate’s birthday. To celebrate, we had some friends over and I made him a homemade Oreo ice cream cake. I also squeezed in a new appetizer done in a fire pit or grill.
Fire Pit Cheese
1 wheel of brie or camembert cheese
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup raisins or cranberries (mine was a mix)
1. Create a sturdy square layer of tin foil by folding it a few times. This is the base of your tin foil packet. I did this so the weight of the cheese wouldn’t break my cheap foil.
2. Lay the square foil on a larger sheet of foil.
3. Top square with cheese wheel. Top the cheese with brown sugar, pecans, and dried fruit.
4. Fold foil to make a closed packet.
5. Place in the fire pit or grill for 5-7 minutes. Feel free to check for cheesy ooziness. When you see the ooze it is done. Serve with crackers, sliced apples, and pretzels.
This was a hit with our guests. It makes for a quick starter for a cookout and the prep time is minutes. I plan on using this again and again.