Amaretto! You know that wonderful sweet cherry, apricot, almond flavor! Amaretto has to be my favorite flavoring of all time, whether it be marzipan, amaretti cookies, cherry candies, or the praline icing on my delicious brownies.
Like my brownies, the pairing of amaretto and chocolate are match made in heaven. The bitterness from the chocolate and the sweet amaretto flavor together make me salivate just thinking about it. Yum. My chocolate amaretto ice cream was great on it’s own however there are endless possibilities on things to mix in. Amaretti cookies would be great. They are very firm and would hold their texture very well in this silky ice cream.
Chocolate Amaretto Ice Cream
2 cups single cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp almond extract or Amaretto
1/4 tsp salt
Mix in of your choice (amaretti cookies), optional
1. Add cream and milk into a saucepan and heat slowly. DO NOT BOIL.
2. Whisk together yolks, sugar, cocoa powder in a bowl until well combined and there are no lumps.
3. Slowly whisk the warm cream/milk into the egg/sugar mixture. This is called tempering. You do not want scrambled eggs.
4. When the eggs are warmed with the milk add it into the saucepan.
5. Continue to heat slowly and always stirring. Keep stirring. You will know it is thick enough when the back of the spoon is coated. It may take a few minutes but it will be a sudden change.
6. Turn off heat. Add salt and almond extract/Amaretto. Stir well.
7. Pass it through a fine sieve. Cool completely.
8. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Churn according to the ice cream maker’s instructions. Stir in mix ins, freeze, and enjoy!
Well, this concludes the ice cream celebration! I have learned a lot about this frozen treat. Ice cream bases, flavor combinations, and best ways to serve and freeze this creamy delight. We have been eating my ice cream in cones. When you use a cone you can only fill it up so much! So, we probably get about 1/4 cup in each cone serving. Less guilt!
Changes! You may have noticed a big difference here at the blog! I changed the name, look, and logo! I will be sure to fill you in next week about the big change so stay tuned!