April is going to be a hectic month. But, before David and I kick off the mayhem we get to take a mini-holiday to the Lake District. We are celebrating our fifth anniversary in May and David currently is off on break, so now was the best time to get away. Some attractions include Beatrix Potter’s home, Wordsworth’s home, lakes, mountains, and lots of trails. So, we may need a vacation from our trip but we are both excited.
April is going to be busy because we are moving at the end of the month. We will be moving in with some friends who are starting to transition back stateside. So, we will have some married roommates! We are pretty excited about it. I am excited to have a British garden! I will be able to take more pictures outside.
This week, I decided to give mint a try. The results were better than I had hoped. I usually don’t like fresh mint. It tastes kind of like licorice to me. But, the ice cream has a fresh taste. David said it best, “It tastes like green.” It reminds me of basil ice cream. The chocolate is a must! The chocolate really makes this amazing!
2 cups single cream (half and half)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup fresh mint
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 bar of good quality dark chocolate, chopped
1. Add cream, milk, and mint into a saucepan and heat slowly. DO NOT BOIL.
2. Whisk together yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale yellow.
3. Slowly whisk the warm cream/milk into the egg/sugar mixture. This is called tempering. You do not want scrambled eggs.
4. When the eggs are warmed with the milk add it into the saucepan.
5. Continue to heat slowly and always stirring. Keep stirring. You will know it is thick enough when the back of the spoon is coated. It may take a few minutes but it will be a sudden change.
6. Turn off heat. Add salt and vanilla. Stir well.
7. Pass it through a fine sieve. Cool completely.
8. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Churn according to the ice cream maker’s instructions. Stir in your chocolate, freeze, and enjoy!
See you next week with some shots of the Lake District!